Adam Dandy is CEO of Dandy’s Topsoil and co founder of the SHARE charity.
1. How are you ? I am good, thanks for asking, it’s a question we probably don’t ask people enough.
2. Who/what inspired you in life ? Hmmm except for Richard Branson and more recently Elon Musk, I’d have to say my Dad with his with his work ethic and my Mum with her love & loyalty.
3. What advice would you give to your younger self? You won’t find what you’re looking for by having bigger and better things, you’ll only want more and never be truly happy or appreciate what you’ve got, you’ll only find what you crave when you stop peddling your own bike and help someone who’s struggling, by helping them to peddle theirs.
4. What do you do to relax? Lie in a warm bath once everyone’s gone to bed, after a while the biggest problems I’ve struggled to deal with during the day, come to mind and I find it much easier to find a solution, idea or plan to resolve it, with a clear relaxed head.
5. Fav film of all time Stand by me – Reminds me of growing up in Guilden Sutton, going off on hikes to the Gowy, Kelsall Hill & camping out with my mates. Thankfully no dead bodies to find though!
6. What would you sing on karaoke night ? I am a terrible singer so I’d do everything I could to avoid it, but… if I really had to, American Pie.
7. Where do you see Chester in 5 years time ? In a good place generally, rightly or wrongly, Chester feels like it’s in a kind of protective bubble from reality, it’s a good place to live and a good place to do business & work, its a caring place too and there’s lots of good people working really hard to make it a better place for everyone, whether you are without a place to call home or if you’re a tourist on a day trip visiting our great City, Chester is a lovely place to be and I think the hard efforts by those in charge of the City today will pay dividends to those here in 5 years from now and for years to come.
8. Where do you see the world in 5 years time? I hope it will be a healthier cleaner place to live, with the transition to renewable energy and electric cars and trucks the norm. I’d like to think that we’ll have a cure for Cancer and some other major diseases too. I hope that trials of a basic income are proven across many nations to result in significantly less homelessness and in eradicating poverty across developed countries at least.
9. If you could change one thing about Chester what would it be? Just 1 thing?? Hmmmm well, other than turning all the traffic lights off on all the roundabouts outside of rush hours…. and setting up a not for profit organisation to turn Dee House into The Roman Museum of Great Britain, with a below the floor dig exiting directly into the centre of the Amphitheatre below and building a footbridge connecting the Roman Walls directly to the Amphitheatre… I’d relax the planning laws for developers to build up to 20 affordable houses in every village across the Borough to help to give everyone currently on the housing list a place to call home. Whoops that’s 4 things, sorry!
10. Are we alone in the universe ? Highly unlikely, although I am not sure we should be trying so hard to find others out there. We may wish that we hadn’t bothered.
11. Name 3 things you love My family, Chester, Soil
12. And 3 you hate Stanlow, Dee House in its current state, people who drop litter or fly tip on our country lanes, I mean who the hell do they think they are???
13. In your darkest hour what gives you comfort? My wife, my children and my Frenchie and a hot bath lol!
14. What is the greatest memory of your life ? Travelling across America when I was 18 on a Greyhound Bus after teaching sailing at a Camp America Summer Camp in Wisconsin, oh and my Wedding day and the birth our children… obviously lol
15. What would be the title of your autobiography? He’s what the Romans wanted
16. What becomes of the broken hearted? They become stronger.
17.What was the last film you saw and was it any good ? Central Intelligence – Yes it was funny!
18. Which person , living or dead would you take for an independent coffee or drink? Elon Musk
19. Favourite place in the borough (specific) ? Beeston Castle, on a sunny day, sat on the walkway ramp to the entrance looking towards Jodrell Bank.
20. If you could time travel, where/when would you go ? I’d like to go to the old Market Square in front of Chester’s old Corn Exchange Building in the year 1826, and I’d sit on the steps and watch as my Gt. Gt. Grandad set up our family business for the first time on his new market stall selling fruit and veg on an old table in front of the Dublin Packet Pub. I’d walk past and tell him everything will be fine. Then get back in my DeLorean quickly, before one of Chester’s overzealous parking ticket wardens slapped me a 2 shilling fine.